Battlefield 3 is the sequel of Battlefield first-person shooter video game. This article contains in-depth information on the frequently occurring Battlefield 3 lag problem. Follow all the steps in this article in the order they are given in.
1. Upgrade your Computer
2. Enable ports for Battlefield 3
3. Update drivers and DirectX
4. Disable VSync
5. Resolve Windows Registry errors
Upgrade your Computer
Many gamers neglect the compatibility aspect. Firstly you have to make sure that your system is compatible with BF3 requirements. This will help you avoid the lag problem. Upgrade your system specifications to meet with the below mentioned officially announced system requirements:
Operating system: Windows Vista 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
Memory: 2 GB of RAM
Hard Drive: 20 GB free space required
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or ATi Radeon HD 3870 with Pixel Shader 5.0
Sound Card: DirectX 10 compliant sound card
Enable ports for Battlefield 3
Many people disable ports for security and privacy purpose. However the game developer recommends enabling the following ports which help to fix the lag problem.
TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
UDP: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300
Update Drivers and DirectX
Another significant factor resulting in game lag is outdated Drivers and DirectX. It is essential to have up-to-date drivers in order to maintain smooth communication between game and the system.
Follow the guidelines to do so:
· Click the Start button.
· Go to Search Box and type Device Manager.
· Select a Device (Video Card, Sound Card, Network Card) and double-click on it.
· You will see a dialog box on your system screen.
· Go to Driver Tab and click Update Driver.
· Follow the on-screen wizard.
· Redo the update driver process for each device driver.
You can download DirectX latest version from here to upgrade DirectX.
Battlefield 3 lag problem can also arise because of Graphics Card virtual synchronization feature. Disable V-sync to resolve this problem.
Disable ATI V-Sync
· Go to Catalyst Control Center. Double click on it. Tap to Advanced and then Next.
· Click Graphics and select 3D from drop down menu.
· You can see a Vertical Refresh bar, drag that bar to the left until it shows Always Off at the bottom.
Disable Nvidia VSync
· Open Nvidia Control Panel.
· Tap 3D Settings.
· Tap Manage 3D Settings.
· Scroll down to find “Use the 3D Application Settings”. Click it.
· Find Vertical Sync from list. Select force off
Resolve Windows Registry Errors
Another critical reason which causes BF3 to “lag” is the Windows Registry errors problem. Windows Registry is the central database that stores system activities in its database. It assigns Registry Key to each system function. Chances are that Battlefield 3 registry keys could be corrupt, outdated or damaged. In this case you will experience game lag problem.
You have to resolve Windows Registry errors related to BF3 in order to resolve the game-lagging problem. Find more information about Windows Registry from this source.